A quick and easy pattern for beautiful cushion covers – the envelope design means no zips are needed and the french seam gives an elegant finish!
Finished size is 50cm square – a lovely addition to any living room or bedroom.
YOU WILL NEED
+ Fat quarter of Liberty Tana Lawn
+ 50cm Linen
+ Co-ordinating thread
or, grab one of our Liberty + Linen Cushion Cover Kits which include all of the above – with five lovely designs to choose from!
+ Cushion insert – we’ve used a 50cm x 50cm feather cushion insert from Ikea
+ Tape measure, scissors & pins
+ Sewing Machine & supplies
BEFORE YOU START
Wash, dry and iron your linen before cutting
From the Liberty Tana Lawn, cut:
+ 1 square for the front, 50cm x 50cm
From the linen, cut:
+ 1 square for the back, 50cm x 50cm
+ 1 rectangle for the envelope, 50cm x 38cm
ASSEMBLE YOUR CUSHION
- Pin and stitch a 1cm double roll hem on the bottom long edge of the envelope (a) and top edge of the back (b).
2. Layer your pieces together:
- Front – right side facing up (c)
- Then the envelope – right side facing down, aligned to the top,
double roll hem toward base (d)
- Then the back – right side down, aligned to the base, double roll hem
toward top (e)
3. Pin (f), then stitch around the edges using a scant 1/4 inch seam (g).
4. Snip the corners, being careful not to cut through your stitching (h).
5. Turn right side out. Use a knitting needle or skewer to square corners. Then give a good iron, pressing edges out (i)
6. Finish with a top stitch using a 1/4 inch seam around the perimeter of the cushion (j).
7. Fill with the cushion insert to complete your cushion! (k)
LIBERTY + LINEN CUSHION COVER KITS
We’ve curated five beautiful Liberty + Linen Cushion Cover kits featuring some of our favourite Liberty Fabrics designs with The Strawberry Thief Linens
Michelle A + Deep Blush
Felicite E + Rusty Orange
Thorpe C + Avocado
Betsy 19B + Light Jade
Libby B + Pale Sky