Once your quilt is laid up and quilted, it’s time to add binding to complete your quilt!
CALCULATE YOUR BIAS BINDING REQUIREMENTS
The quantity of bias binding required will be equal to the perimeter of your quilt (plus a little extra for corners and overlapping)
Bias Binding (cm) = (width of quilt(cm) + length of quilt(cm)) x 2 + 15cm extra
Keep in mind that our Liberty Bias Binding comes in 3 metre packs – so round up to the closest!
PLEASE NOTE: This tutorial is based on our 25mm book-fold bias binding.
- Place the bias (with open side facing the edge) along one side of the front of the quilt. Leave a good 10cm to 15cm of bias loose (you will need this for joining later) and begin stitching one quarter of an inch in from the edge (A).
- Continue stitch down toward the corner, stopping and leaving the needle down when you are one quarter inch away from the corner.
- Lift the foot of your sewing machine and turn to stitch at a 45 degree angle towards the corner (B).
4. Fold the bias away from the corner to create a 45 degree angle (C), then fold back on itself and pin in place (D)
5. Stitch one quarter inch in from edge, toward next corner (E), repeating steps above for each corner.
6. Once final corner is complete, stitch 2-3cm then back stitch to secure (F).
7. Overlap bias and trim so that overlap is 5cm (G)
8. Open loose ends of bias so that they are flat – the bias from the top should sit flat right side facing up and the bias from below should sit flat right side facing down (H).
9. Overlap the pieces as shown (I) then pin and stitch at a 45 degree angle.
10. Trim, flatten and position back along edge of quilt. Then stitch in place so that all bias is now fixed to the edge of your quilt. (J)
11. Fold bias out, over the edge and toward the back of the quilt (K).
12. Flip the quilt over, pin bias in place and hand stitch with an invisible slip stitch (L).
You did it! Your quilt is complete and ready to be enjoyed!
Here’s some of our beautiful collection of Liberty Bias Binding, perfect for finishing your quilt!
- Bias Binding – Hamper C
- Bias Binding – Hamper B
- Bias Binding – Hamper A
- Bias Binding – Poppy and Daisy A
- Bias Binding – Poppy and Daisy M
- Bias Binding – Emma and Georgina X
- Bias Binding – Phoebe P
- Bias Binding – Phoebe and Jo B
- Bias Binding – Phoebe and Jo C
- Bias Binding – Wiltshire S
- Bias Binding – Fluttering B
- Bias Binding – Thorpe C